A gentleman’s game they said.
‘Oh, really?’ he said.
Chris Gayle, in his entire career of hitting red and white leather balls into the stands, has defied the common and largely true belief that cricket is a “Gentleman’s Game” with inimitable exploits such as out-Aussieing the Aussies when he gave Michael Clarke a taste of Aussie sledging in their famous encounter in the 2006 Champion’s Trophy.
A man who never cared for the niceties and the pleasantries of life, in cricket and outside, someone who is known to speak his heart, and speak it all, holding nothing back, certainly enjoys the finer luxuries of life.
Such people are rare; few and far between.
Gayle shows us the way to be a hero without having to be the gentleman, a person who is truly rare, not just in cricket, but ever.
It is our firm belief, that it is his firm belief, that conventions have been created by civilization for him to break them, and being the kind of person he is, no one minds him breaking them.
He is a man who once said that he could score a hundred at any condition, and was taken seriously.
He has branded himself with the titles that the cricketing world fondly uses while referring to him – Universe Boss, King Gayle, Super Boss, Gayle Force, Gayle Storm. And his legend grows with every new exploit and title.
But the world of cricket, a world previously of tea-drinkers, well-spoken gentlemen and perfect players, has been changed, forever in the past 20 years or so, with the arrival of legends and the ‘imperfect players’ that love the game, love the people, and want to change it all.
For the better.
A man of unstoppable force, becoming the first batsman ever to reach the 10,000 runs landmark in T20 cricket very recently, is certainly the face of this change, a leader and a pioneer in the ways that cricket is enjoyed.
A man who entertains the crowd with more than just his superb skill, he is a man who entertains people because he can, and because he wants to as can be seen on his social media SitCom “Everybody Rates Chris”.
Here are our top ten reasons why we believe Chris Gayle is #BigTicketNext
- Have you seen him dance?
2. We love the way he plays like running between the wickets is for lesser mortals. And then again, maybe it is.
3. His soft voice – we can never get over what a gentle giant this man is.
4. The look on the faces of the opposition every time he walks out to bat.
5. The look on the faces of the opposition every time they manage to get him out.
6. The look on the faces of crowds when he unleashes a high powered #GayleStorm.
7. The look on the faces of his teammates when they know Gayle has come to the party.
8. Every single one of the 10000 runs in T20 cricket.
9. His Universe Boss title-earning 743 sixes.
10. The #BigTicketNext pleasure, pride and privilege of ticketing all the amazing matches he and his Caribbean teammates bring to life at the #CPL!